SASS Wire Forum

Cougars & Wild Dogs?

I've got a great camping number: 13!!

Anyway the packet contains a warning about cougars and wild dogs roaming FR. The packet advises that should take means to protect yourself from these animals. The packet was not specific on what people should do.

Where do I get some official advice?

Not official advice: camping at Founders Ranch is like staying in a Forest Service campground. Some wild or feral critters may cruise through but will avoid encounters with adults. Small children or pets can look like an easy meal however. Whatever protection you keep handy for defense against feral bipeds would serve you well against a dangerous canine or feline. Since members of the public will have access to the ranch (on certain days and hours ) I expect you will be ready in case a low-life visits your camp.

BTW, the State of New Mexico does not recognize Louisiana CCW permits (see http://www.dps.nm.org/lawEnforcement/ccw/index.php).

When I was a young man of 19, I was attacked by a cougar one time. I still remember it. I was 19 she was 48.

WOW, what a attack. It was something.

WAIT, what kind of cougar are we talking about??? :D

I'd worry more about the coyotes,lots of 'em around right now.Of course they won't bother people,but they'll snatch up a small pet.The last cougar I know of was the one that ate my friend's goats 3 years ago,about 5 miles from the Ranch.I've killed 3 feral dogs in the last 10 years.We also have prairie rattlers,but they're small,usually not over 3 feet & very timid,they're more scared of you than you are of them.There's owls livin' in the hills,they're also fond of small pets.

As far as 2-legged critters,the whole area is remarakbly low crime & any dern fool that tries anything in a camp full of armed people probably deserves anything that happens to him.:D

Foard... carrying UNLOADED is FINE... I'm sure you could scrounge up a round if you ran into a problem though... :D I've heard coyotes at night there, but with all of the PEOPLE and TRAFFIC it's not a place critters really want to be. :D

• 3 weeks later...

No cougar sightings at EoT though an unfortunate fellow was killed and eaten by a cougar not too far from where the New Mexico State match will be held in just a few weeks.

Update: The cat was trapped and killed. It had 4 buckshot holes in it. See http://www.koat.com/news/16708319/detail.html.

• 6 months later...

The question is, will be be searched at the gate for weapons, ccw etc. It seems funny to have EOT at a place that is un-gun friendly?

G.P. All they ask for at the gate is your "car permit". If it is hanging on your mirror they usually just wave you through. Don't check guns, ammo, etc. etc. The only time I know of that you can't have a firearm is in "town" after 1700 hrs. That is when the drinks come out. The comments about "wild critters" is more a liability thing than a real concern. We have a 10 pound dog which we keep in the camper unless we are with it. Dogs MUST stay in the campground area and restrained as per the rules you receive with your confirmation. NOT in town. At EOT there will be over 150 campers and a LOT going on. Wild critters don't like all the activity. Come. have fun, relaxed and VERY friendly.

• 5 weeks later...

Been living and camping in Colorado & New Mexico for some time. Even in a place as populated as Founders' Ranch, I would NOT leave any small pet (under 50#'s) tied up outside. Well, okay, I wouldn't leave a pet tied to begin with, but definitely not outside. Coyotes or mountain lions will snatch a tethered pet as quick as flash, and you won't hear a thing. Keep pets indoors when you are not around.

Adults should have no worry for their own safety. Pumas are rare and coyotes shy.

buena suerte,

Its an old thread, but since I started it let me summarize:

1. I had no problem with wildlife, be they on the wing, slithering, or on all fours. Two footed beasts were a different matter.

2. There were no problems at all with firearms while I was there. Like everyone else said, no guns in town when the liquor came out. Just like the other poster said, we were flagged right through the checkpoint with our pass.

3. When we went into the nearby towns, we were encouraged to wear our cowboy duds by some of the locals. NM is an open carry state. The Mexican resturaunt we at at was owned by SASS member and he was fine with us wearing our pistols (we didn't). That said, if you or your posse are going to drink anything stronger than coffee, I would leave the guns in the buckboard.

4. Even though we did not see any critters near the trailers, we certainly did hear coyotes at night. I would not leave really small animals out in a pen. We did see a hawk or eagle with a rather large snake in its talons. I am sure that bird would have made short work of a small dog.

Archived